Bronchiectasis Interventional Study (BIS): the Torres Strait experience
2010 PHC Research Conference: Poster abstract
Bronchiectasis is a chronic suppurative lung condition which has a much higher rate in Indigenous people than non-Indigenous people. It often establishes in childhood, with the cause most often being pneumonia, and affects individuals throughout their life. Studies have shown that azithromycin is effective in those with cystic fibrosis. The optimal treatment of bronchiectasis in Indigenous populations is not known, due to a lack of studies. The Torres Strait cohort is part of a multicentre international study.
To contribute data from the Torres Strait, as part of a multicentre study, to:
1. Evaluate long-term treatment with azithromycin compared to placebo in the prevention of pulmonary exacerbations of bronchiectasis
2. Assess the impact of azithromycin treatment on antibiotic resistance.
- Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial comparing once-weekly azithromycin with placebo.
- Clinical history and assessments at first visit and subsequent visits at months 3, 6 , 9 & 12.
- Causes of Bronchiectasis: Post-pneumonia (4), prematurity (1)
- Withdrawals: 1 subject due to medication refusal by the subject
- Close follow-up of children with bronchiectasis in the Torres Strait.
More from this conference
Related Topic Searches (15)
Search for more using the following Topic Searches:
- Paediatrics - all items | Resources
- Child health - all items | Resources
- Local Hospital Networks/Districts/Partnerships - all items | Resources
- Oral health - all items | Resources
- International - all items | Resources
- Pharmacy - all items | Resources
- Hospitals/Emergency medical services - all items | Resources
- Nursing - all items | Resources
- Improving quality, safety, performance and accountability - all items | Resources
- Indigenous health - all items | Resources
- Preventative health - all items | Resources
- Health systems and services - all items | Resources
- Quantitative - all items | Resources
- Remote and rural health - all items | Resources
- Collaboration/cooperation/joint venture/partnerships - all items | Resources
Learn more and view all Topic Searches.
- Getting Started Guides
- Video Guides
- Resource feed
- Fact Sheets
- PHCRIS Collection
Share this content
PHC Search Filter
When you need to do a quick search of primary health care literature in PubMed - try the PHC Search Filter