A South Australian Initiative: Bringing Voices Together
Bringing voices together: Reducing the gap
between research, policy and practice initiative
Adelaide SA, 23 May 2016
Collaboration is highly valued as a way of increasing the knowledge economy. It allows the sharing of insights and expertise from policymakers, practitioners and consumers to contextualise and strengthen the research contribution.
Yet such cross-sector collaboration between research users and research producers can be difficult to achieve. Organisational and professional cultures are not always geared to support, or reward, the time consuming professional relationship building that is the essence of successful collaborations.
The Reducing the Gap between Research, Policy and Practice is a successful South Australian initiative that is influencing shifts in shared understanding of the context and challenges in collaborative knowledge exchange. The vibrant collaboration draws together the diverse research and consumer perspectives of the Health Services Research Association of Australia and New Zealand (HSRAANZ), the South Australian Health & Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI), the Primary Health Care Research & Information Service (PHCRIS) as well as Cancer Voices SA and Health Consumers Alliance SA. This series of public events, now in its third year, continues to build capacity in knowledge exchange thinking, practices and activities; facilitating productive partnerships, and clarifying the context in which knowledge is used.
The theme for 2016 is Bringing Voices Together. The first event for this year is a public breakfast workshop to be held in Flinders at Victoria Square on 23 May. The topic, What needs to be considered to ensure research improves health systems, services and outcomes in our current environment?, will be examined from three very different perspectives before the session opens with facilitated semi-structured group discussions. The speakers are as follows:
- Don Piro, cancer survivor & advocate, rural cancer support group coordinator and Professional Counsellor
- Professor Alison Kitson, Dean of Nursing and Head of School of Nursing, University of Adelaide
- Sinead O’Brien, Executive Director, Policy and Commissioning, SA Health.
View further details of the Workshop.
Related Topic Searches (11)
Search for more using the following Topic Searches:
- Consumer perspectives - all items | News items
- Cancer - all items | News items
- Consumer information - all items | News items
- Commissioning - all items | News items
- Building research capacity - all items | News items
- Knowledge exchange and translation - all items | News items
- Collaboration/cooperation/joint venture/partnerships - all items | News items
- Nursing - all items | News items
- International - all items | News items
- Health systems and services - all items | News items
- Remote and rural health - all items | News items
Learn more and view all Topic Searches.