Deputy Director and Research Manager
Phone: 08 7221 8516
Petra is the Research Manager and Deputy Director at PHCRIS. Her responsibilities are to lead and manage research activities within the PHCRIS team; and contribute to the effective synthesis and dissemination of research findings to primary health care researchers, practitioners, policy advisors and others with an interest in primary health care.
In 2002, Petra completed a PhD in experimental neuronal degeneration. Since then, she has conducted systematic literature reviews in a variety of areas in public health and drugs and alcohol research; and a wide range of summaries and synthesised reports on various primary health care issues.
Publications published previous to 2008 include:
- Bywood PT, Johnson SM. Catecholamine neuron groups in rat brain slices differ in their susceptibility to excitatory amino acid induced dendritic degeneration. Neurotox. Res. 2001 Nov;3(6):515-26. PMID: 15111241 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15111241
- Bywood PT, Johnson SM. Mitochondrial complex inhibitors preferentially damage substantia nigra dopamine neurons in rat brain slices. Exp Neurol. 2003 Jan;179(1):47-59.PMID: 12504867 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12504867
- Bywood PT, Johnson SM. Differential vulnerabilities of substantia nigra catecholamine neurons to excitatory amino acid-induced degeneration in rat midbrain slices. Exp Neurol. 2000 Mar;162(1):180-8.PMID: 10716898 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10716898
- Bywood PT, Johnson SM. Loss of tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity in dendrites is a sensitive index of kainic acid-induced damage in rat substantia nigra neurons in vivo. Neurosci Lett. 2000 Feb 11;280(1):5-8.PMID: 10696798 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10696798
- Bywood PT, Johnson SM. Dendrite loss is a characteristic early indicator of toxin-induced neurodegeneration in rat midbrain slices. Exp Neurol. 2000 Jan;161(1):306-16.PMID: 10683296 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10683296
- Johnson SM, Bywood PT. Excitatory amino acid-induced degeneration of dendrites of catecholamine neurons in rat substantia nigra. Exp Neurol. 1998 Jun;151(2):229-36.PMID: 9628758 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9628758
- Johnson SM, Bywood PT. Degeneration of the dendritic arbor as an index of neurotoxicity in identified catecholamine neurons in rat brain slices. Exp Neurol. 1998 Jun;151(2):221-8.PMID: 9628757 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9628757
- Johnson SM, Luo X, Bywood PT. Neurotoxic effects of kainic acid on substantia nigra neurons in rat brain slices. Exp Neurol. 1997 Aug;146(2):546-52.PMID: 9270066 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9270066
Visit Petra's Research Profile for details of her research activities including current projects, publications and PHC Research Conference abstract submissions.